Nottingham City Transport is an award winning bus operator and we carry the most satisfied customers in the country!
Bus drivers play a crucial role in providing our high quality service and we’re looking for friendly and customer-focused people to join us.
No previous bus driving experience needed; Our award winning Training Team will provide expert tuition to get you on the road. All training is funded by the company – learn while you earn!
What we offer:
- Potential earnings of up to £24,000 per annum
- £9.30 per hour starter rate (this includes your bus driver training period) rising to £10.11 per hour after 6 months
- An additional £1 per hour for all hours worked on Sundays and after 21:00 Mon-Sat
- 20 days holiday per year rising to 26 days after 4 years, plus 8 recognised bank or public holidays
- Comprehensive training and development package to maintain your skills throughout your career at NCT
- Driver of the Year scheme, with a top prize of £1000
- Free travel for you and a nominee on all NCT buses and the tram
- Excellent defined contribution auto-enrolment pension scheme*
- Health care package*
- Discounts at over 80 local businesses and services
* After 6 month probationary period
What does a Bus Driver do?
It’s more than just driving a bus!
Bus drivers are the face of Nottingham City Transport and the role of a driver is also to help people with their queries and needs throughout the day. This will vary from a simple ‘good morning’ to helping a disabled person board the bus, giving information to customers about services and saying ‘goodbye’ as they reach their destination.
About the Role….
Our buses run seven days a week, from early morning until late at night and some buses run through the night too.
Drivers work shifts on 5 days per week (which will include some weekend working) with variable start and finish times. Most shifts are between 7 and 9 hours per day, with a guaranteed working of 39 hours. An optional 6th day of overtime is also available each week.
We also have specialist shifts where drivers only work in the evening or on the late night buses.
Buses operate from three garages (Parliament Street in the City Centre, Trent Bridge and Gotham) and for most of the time, drivers are based at one garage, operating on regular routes. It is expected however, for drivers to work from any garage, if required.
What does the training involve?
To be a bus driver, you need a PCV (Passenger Carrying Vehicle) licence and a full CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence).
If you haven’t got a PCV licence and CPC, our award winning Training Team will support you all the way to obtaining them and becoming a bus driver.
There are two parts to the training programme – Firstly you will work towards gaining your PCV licence by completing a number of DVSA modules, including a PCV theory test, hazard perception test, two CPC modules and the practical driving test; this part usually takes up to 4 weeks to complete. Once you have your PCV licence, the training programme continues with route learning, vehicle familiarisation, use of the ticket machine, guidance on support for people with disabilities as well as making sure you have all the skills and knowledge a new bus driver needs.
When you start driving in service with customers, you’ll have another driver with you for the first 2 weeks to help and mentor you.
Throughout your career with NCT, we provide a comprehensive training and development package, including support to achieve nationally recognised qualifications.
How to Apply
Applications for drivers are managed online. Before you apply, there are a few basic requirements:
- You must have a full manual UK driving licence with at least 12 months driving experience (and you should not be disqualified from driving at the time of applying).
- Your licence should have no more than 3 penalty points on it
- You must be legally entitled to work in the UK
- Basic skills in reading, writing and maths are important too
- All drivers have to undertake a medical assessment as part of the assessment process
So, if you’d like to join our award winning team, apply here.