Clean Air Day 2021
1 month ago
Thursday 17th June 2021 is Clean Air Day and NCT is proudly operating one of the greenest bus fleets in the country.
A £42m investment in recent years has helped us significantly reduce the emissions from our fleet and has contributed to Nottingham being announced as the UK city with the cleanest air!
Our commitment to reducing emissions was recognised back in March when we picked up the Environmental Improvement Award at The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT) Awards for Excellence.
Here’s how we’ve reduced our emissions:
- Our entire fleet meets the most stringent Euro VI emission standards
- We’re running the largest fleet of Bio-Gas double deck buses in the world, with 120 of these super environmentally friendly buses operating throughout Nottingham. These buses are powered from food and farm waste.
- We’ve fitted an exhaust treatment system to our diesel buses, which has reduced their emissions by 90%!
- Our drivers have undertaken training on smoother and more efficient driving techniques (which reduces fuel consumption)
- Our newest buses have technology to switch off should they be left idling too long at a bus stop.
Our reduction in emissions has been supported by grants from the Office of Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) and from the Department for Transport, through partnerships with Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire County Council. These grants account for 30% of the investment, with 70% - or £30m – invested by NCT.
Looking forward, we’re now planning the replacement of our single deck (midi) buses and we’re currently trialling and assessing a number of electric buses, including this Caetano E-City Gold, which is with us for a few weeks.